Thursday, December 11, 2008

Histories of Springfield Township, Spencer Township and Holland

The Beginning of Springfield Township

In prehistory, the area we now call Springfield Township was beach front property on an expanded lake due to the flow of water being blocked in the Niagara Falls area. Sediment from that time is still seen in the sand and clay soil of the whole region called the “Black Swamp” or “Oak Openings.” The Ottawa, Chippewa, Wyandot

and other tribes used it as hunting grounds, but avoided staying in the area for too long because of the wetness and sickness that came with it. The sand bogs and swamps became a habitat for many plants – orchids and prickly pear cactus, cranberries, strawberries and other ground fruit.
From the early 1700s the French claimed the area and they continued to inhabit it until the end of the French-Indian War in 1764. During this period the area was first a part of Quebec (until 1713) and then became part of Louisiana (1713-1764). The spoils of war for the British allowed them to claim it and again it became a part of the Quebec Province from 1764-69. At the end of the British era and at the beginning of the United States, it was attached to Botetourt County, Virginia, from 1769-78, and Illinois County, Virginia from 1778-1787.
The newly formed government of the United States established the Northwest Territory in 1788 with only one county, which was named Washington. In 1790, Hamilton became the name of a second county, and in 1796, Wayne County was added to demonstrate the nation’s jurisdiction over the southern peninsula of Michigan and northwest Ohio.
Ohio was admitted to the Union in 1803 and on the 24th day of March, 1803, the counties of Warren, Butler, Montgomery and Greene, were established. Greene County was organized with it’s northern boundary being the Territory of Michigan. The area surrounding Springfield Township was evidently regarded as a part of it, even though it was considered part of the Indian territories allocated from the Greenville Treaty.
On the 20th day of February, 1805, Greene County was reduced in size by the organization of Champaign County, which also had as its northern limits the Territory of Michigan. The county seat was Urbana, and as more families migrated to Ohio, the distance from Urbana to the northernmost reaches of the county became too great for government business to be conducted. On December 30, 1817, Logan County was established, with the county seat located at Belleville (now Bellefontaine), and extending to Michigan and “including the United States Reservation at the Rapids of the Miami of the Lake” or the Indian territory. The township of Waynesfield was established that incorporated the settlement of Maumee.
During the period from 1796 to the time of Logan County, the region now called Northwest Ohio although not always under the legal jurisdiction of Wayne County, was nominally under it’s control since courts and land sales were recorded in Detroit and Monroe for the region. Even after Ohio was formed in 1803, part of the territory retained the name of Wayne County, with a seat of government located at Wooster. In 1817, a new treaty was signed with the Indians which allowed settlers from the east to settle in what had previously been designated Indian territory.
Local histories show Dennis Sage as the first settler in the township. He probably came here in 1829 and was followed shortly afterward by his sister, Chloe Sage. Before that, though, the Jacob Wiltse and Willard Barnes families are known to have come here in 1824. Jacob Wiltse is buried in Springfield Cemetery and the tombstone states that he died in 1827, two years before Dennis Sage arrived. Daniel Hubbell who was the enumerated in the first census of 1840 for Springfield Township became a Wood County Commissioner when it was formed in 1820.
Migration to northwest Ohio increased dramatically and the lack of and distance from government became even more apparent. To alleviate this situation, Wood County was formed on February 12, 1820 with Maumee named as the temporary county seat of Wood. The jurisdiction of this new entity covered territory that now includes the counties of Lucas, Fulton, Defiance and Wood as well as six other counties. On April 12, the commissioners, Daniel Hubbell, of Miami, Samuel H. Ewing, of Orleans, and John Pray, of Waterville, met in the second story of Almon Gibbs' store, in Maumee, and organized by electing Daniel Hubbell clerk of the board.
As a consequence of the Toledo War, Wood was dismembered in 1835, and Lucas county formed. The first session of the Commissioners of the County was held at Toledo, September 14, 1835. Commissioners John Baldwin and Robert Gower were present with Cyrus Holloway being absent. Part of the business was the creation of a new Township, to be called Springfield, and to consist of the territory lying North of the " Fulton line," and West of the East line of Range four East, being the territory then in dispute between Ohio and Michigan. Springfield Township was officially formed on June 30, 1836 by the further detachment of land from Waynesfield Township. In accordance with the act of the Board of County Commissioners creating the Township of Springfield, the first election for civil officers was held at the house of William Ford, October 8, 1836. James Egnew, Thomas Wood and John Birchfield were chosen Trustees; Peter Holloway, Clerk; John Wiltse, Treasurer; William Ford, Constable; John Burchfield and John Spencer, Justices of the Peace.

In 1853, a section of southern Springfield Township was re-annexed to Waynesfield Township, and another section was annexed to form Monclova Township. Many of the residents could be seen in the census of 1850 for Springfield Township, but in the census of 1860 were located in Waynesfield or Monclova Townships for this reason. Adams Township to the east was also partially formed by detaching land from Springfield Township.


The Beginning of Holland

On May 22, 1852, the first train ran between Toledo and Chicago on the tracks of the Michigan Southern and the Indiana Northern Railroads.
Springfield township was along this route and a station was established there. The United States Geologic Survey shows that the crossroads were at various times called Springfield, Drakes, Hardy and Holland Station. Records of the Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad shows a station in the area in 1860 with no name, but freight and passengers from that site. In their records of 1880, it shows Holland having a population of 230 people, with the tons of freight increasing almost 20 times since 1860, while the number of passengers increased by approximately 400%. In the early 1860s, Robert Clark began developing land north of the railroad and Franklin Hall built houses south of the railroad. Their names are still memorialized in those respective areas by Clark and Hall Streets. Around this time the crossroads called itself Hardy, which is probably taken from Samuel Hardy, who was one the signers of a document (along with Thomas Jefferson, Arthur Lee and James Monroe) that ceded the northwest territories of Virginia to the government of the United States. He was a member of the Continental Congress in 1783-1785 and had been a lieutenant governor of Virginia.
The name of Holland is thought to have come ditches being dug in the 1850s to divert the swamp water reminding people of the canals of Holland (the Netherlands). There is also a theory that it was named because of the large number of “Dutch” or German people in the area. The most likely derivation of the name comes from a story about Franklin Hall. When he platted the land for the building of his houses, he asked that it be called Hall Land. Supposedly, a clerk or other official changed the first “a” to an “o” and eliminated one “l”, thus Holland. The name, Drakes, may have come from a family that lived in the area or it might be a reminder of the great flocks of geese that flew over the area and still do in smaller numbers. In 1923, the village was incorporated and the first mayor was Miss Mabel Hovey. She served as mayor until 1924 and was at the time only one of two women who were mayors in the state of Ohio.

Springfield Township History from Memoirs of Lucas County and the City of Toledo, Ohio. Harvey Scribner. Western Historical Association, Madison, Wisconsin, 1910.

The following resolution, adopted by the county commissioners on June 20, 1836, tells the story of Springfield Township's beginning: "Resolved, by the that a new civil .township be erected, to be comprehended within the following boundaries, to wit: Commencing on the south line of Township No. 2, in the Mile Square Reserve, between Sections 32 and 33; thence north, on the line, to the north line of said sections; thence east, on said section line, to west line of Section 27; thence north, on said west line, to the north line of Section 27; thence east, on said north line, to the west line of Section 23; north to the north line of said Section 23; thence east on the said north line to the west line of Section 13; thence north to the Fulton line; thence east on said Fulton line to Port Lawrence Township; thence bounded on the east by Port Lawrence Township, on the north by the north line of said Township No. 2, and west by the west line of said Township. No. 2, until it strikes the Fulton line from the north; thence by the east line of Townships Nos. 7 and 8, in Range 9, until it strikes the south line of Township No. 2; thence on the south t)v the south line of Township No. 2, to the place of beginning; and the said township shall be known under and by the name of Springfield." Several changes have been made in the original boundaries as thus described. On June 5, 1839, five sections were taken from Waynesfield Township and added to Springfield. On March 14, 1853, that portion of Waynesfield included in the north half of river tracts Nos. 575, 578, 579, 580 and 581 was added to Springfield, and at the same time the southern part of Springfield was cut off to aid in forming the Township of M0nclova. When Adams Township was erected on December 3, 1856, the north half of the river tracts above mentioned, with some other territory, was taken from Springfield and added to the new township. This reduced Springfield to its present dimensions. It is bounded on the north by Spencer, Sylvania and Adams townships; on the east by Adams; on the south by Monclova, and on the west by Monclova and Spencer. At the time the resolution erecting the township was adopted, the commissioners issued an order for an election to be held at the house of William Ford on the second Tuesday in October following. Accordingly, the election Was held on October 8, 1836, and resulted as follows: John Birchfield, James Egnew and Thomas Wood, trustees; Peter Holloway, clerk; John Wiltse, treasurer; John Birchfield and John Spencer, justices of the peace; William Ford, constable. Early Settlers--Dennis Sage, who located in the township in 1829, is credited with being the first settler. He afterward served five terms as township treasurer. He married Mrs. Sarah Holloway, widow of Herbert Holloway, by whom he had four children. One of the sons, Thomas W. Sage, was afterward in the agricultural implement business at Holland. Dennis Sage (tied in 1887, aged ninety-three years. Chloe Lees and her two sons--Edmund and Simeon P.--settled in the township in 1830. Between that time and 1834 a number of families settled in the township. Among them were Bingham D. and Lorenzo Abbott, Jonathan Barlow, · Willard Barnes, William Beals, William Berry, John Birchfield, John Cummings. James Dean, Ellison DeMott, John, Joseph, Samuel and Selah Divine, Jacob Falk, Patrick Flynn, James R. and William Ford, Linas Frost, Jacob and John Gnagy, Peter Holloway, Jeremiah Kimball. James S. Kitchell. Philander Noble. David Purdon, Herrick A. Rew, Isaac Silvers. John Strayer, David Trumbull. Abraham and John Walter. In 1834 John Gnagy built a sawmill on Wolf Creek--the first in the township--and about two years later John Walter built one on Swan Creek, near the southeast corner. The Gnagy mill also had a small set of buhrs for grinding corn. Thomas Wood came with his family from New York in 1835 and entered land in the township. His son, Harrison Wood, served in Company A. Fourteenth Ohio Infantry, until wounded at Tullahoma. Tennessee. After the war he engaged in business as a merchant at Holland. In 1872 he was elect t4 township clerk. A brother, Perry Wood, served two terms as justice of the peace. Villages--Holland, near the center of the township, is the only village of importance. It is a station on the New York Central Railroad and the Toledo & Indiana Electric Railway. That part of the village north of the railroad was laid out by Robert Clark and the plat was filed on March 14, 1863. South of the railroad the village includes what are known as "Hall's first and second subdivisions." The first mails were carried by stage and there was a post office about three miles west of the present Village of Holland, at the tavern of James Dean, on the old Toledo Plank Road. After Holland was laid out the post office was removed to that place and Thomas Dunn was appointed postmaster. Holland has several general stores, a post office, etc., and is connected with Toledo and the surrounding country by telephone. Crissy is a small station on the two railroads, about three miles west of Holland. It has a general store, a public school and a Methodist Episcopal Church. Soon after the township w~/s settled a Methodist class was organized at Thomas Wood's tavern. Lewis Rumsey was one of the early class leaders. Later meetings were held in the "Red School House" and a church was organized. Thomas Wood raised money by subscription and erected the first church building, which was dedicated in 1859. The Free Methodist Church, at Holland, was built in 1870. Rev. L. T. Fink was the first pastor. . Springfield has three public school buildings valued at $85,000, about twenty miles of improved highway, and in 1920 reported a population of 1,415, a gain of 239 in ten years.

Springfield Township History from History of the City of Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio. Clark Waggoner, Munsell, New York and Toledo, 1888

Springfield Township lies in the Central Western portion of Lucas County. It is bounded on the North by Sylvania, East by Adams and a corner of Waynesfield, South by Monclova, and West by a part of Monclova and Spencer Townships. The principal watercourses within its boundaries are Swan and Wolf Creeks, which form a junction near its Eastern border. The soil in the Southern part is clay-loam. Originally it was wet for tillage; but since the draining process has been successfully employed, it has been converted into a highly productive section of country; the Central and Northern portions of the Township are more sandy, but produce good crops of wheat, corn and fruit. Tile Township is crossed nearly centrally from East to West by the Ail' Line Division of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad, with a Station at Holland, near the center of the Township; which is also the place of Township business and of the Post Office. Springfiield originally embraced the area described in the following resolution adopted by the Board of County Commissioners of Lucas County, June 20, 1836: "Resolved, By the Board, That a new civil Township be erected, to be comprehended within the following boundaries, to wit: Commencing on the South line of Township No. 2, in the Twelve Mile Square Reserve, between Sections 32 and 33; thence North, on the Section line, to the North line of said Sections; thence East, on said Section line, to the West line of Section 27; thence North, on said West line to the North line of said Section 27; thence East, on said North line to the West line of Section 23; thence North to the North line of said Section 23; thence East on the said North line to the West line of Section 13; thence North to the Fulton line; thence East on said Fulton line to Port Lawrence Township; thence bounded on the East by Port Lawrence Township, on the North by the North line of Said Township No. 2, and West by the West of said Township No. 2; until it strikes the Fulton line from the North; thence by the East line of Townships Nos. 7 and 8, in Range nine, until it strikes the South line of Township No. 2; thence on the South by the South line of Township No. 2 to the place of beginning; and the said Township shall be known under the name of Springfield." March 14, 1853, the Northern part of what was then Waynesfield Township, including the Northern half of River Tracts Nos. 575, 576, 579, 580 and 581, now in Adams Township, was added to Springfield Township, and on the same date the Township of Monclova was formed from Waynesfield and the Southern part of Springfield. The Township of Springfield was reduced to its present dimensions by the detachment of a portion to Adams Township in 1856, since which its boundaries have remained unchanged.
EARLY SETTLERS. It cannot now be learned definitely who was the first settler in Springfield Township. Dennis Sage was probably the first or among the first. He settled in the Township in 1829, and at the time &his death was the oldest living pioneer. He was for several years Treasurer of the Township. He was married with Sarah (Wood) Holloway, widow of Herbert Holloway. They had four children, two of whom are living, viz.: Ida (Mrs. A. P. Mann), and Thomas W. Sage, proprietor of an Agricultural Store at Holland. Dennis Sage died in 1887, aged 93 years. Chloe Lees was an early settler, though it appears she did not purchase land till 1844. She had two sons, small boys, when she came to the country, viz: Edmund and Simeon P. Lees. Peter Holloway remembers distinctly that the family lived in the Township when he came in 1834; and Simeon P. Lees is authority for saying that they were settlers as early as 1830. At this date the settlers consisted of two or three families. If the Lees family came in 1830, Simeon P. would have been but six years old, for he was born in Winstead, Connecticut, August 3, 1824. He was married in Maumee City, in 1854, with Anna M. Cullmore. As a citizen and a man, few are more highly respected. He is at present Treasurer of the Township, and has held the office some 10 years. With the exception of Dennis Sage, the oldest resident pioneer in 1884 was Ellison DeMott, who died in the last mentioned year. His son, Clark W. DeMott, was noted as a successful Bee-keeper in Springfield. He was born in the Township December 27, 1852, but moved to Maryland, in 1885. Among the early settlers in this Township was Peter Holloway, from whom the numerous family of that name are descended. In 1666,three brothers emigrated from Somersetshire, England, to Boston. They were ship-builders, and built and owned some of the fastest sailing Vessels then in the Colonies. Subsequently, one settled in Charleston, South Carolina; one in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Michael, the ancestors of the Northern branch of the Holloways, remained in Boston. Peter Holloway, the first, a descendant of Michael of the third generation, was born in Dighton, Massachusetts, March 19, 1751; moved to Taunton, Massachusetts, about 1782; and from Taunton to York, Livingston County, New York, about 1815. He was the inventor of a machine for cutting and heading nails, and engaged in the business before and for part of the time during, the Revolutionary War. It is said that he was not in sympathy with the Puritan Fathers, and refused to pay the Minister's tax in the established Church of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay; whereupon, they sued him and he allowed his family Bible to be sold for the tax. He had two brothers--George, Captain of a Privateer in the Colonial service, and William, Captain of a Merchant Vessel. Peter died in York in 1831. Peter Holloway, second son of the above, was born in Dighton, Massachusetts, May 21, 1778; went to Taunton with his father in 1782; and from Taunton to Canandaigua, New York, in 1798. He was engaged in blacksmithing for the Indians, who were then much more numerous than the whites. He was married with Sophia Seymour, daughter of Ira Seymour, of Victor, New York, and formerly (1804) High Sheriff at Stockbridge, Massachusetts. He removed to West Bloomfield the year of his marriage, where he was engaged in farming, kept a hotel and carried on blacksmithing. He volunteered in the Cavalry service in the War of 1812-15, got into Buffalo when the Town was burning and the British shipping just leaving port. At the close of the War he settled in York, Livingston County. In 1833 he moved with his family to Maumee,. and the year following to the farm in Springfield Township, on which Charles B. Holloway now resides, where he died September 1, 1865, having spent 31 years on the farm. His family, consisted of five sons and three daughters--Herbert, Abigail, Eliza S., Peter, Chester S., George G., Mary Ann and Charles B.; three of whom are now living, viz.: Peter, Chester S., and Charles B. Charles B. Holloway represented Lucas County in the Ohio Legislature, 1879-81. He was born in York, Livingston County, New York, Jane 14, 1826; was married with Nancy Ann Gunn, daughter of Asman Gunn, a pioneer of Springfield Township, May 3, 1855. He took prominent part in the organization of the militia of his Township. As Captain of Company C, Fourth Regiment Ohio Militia, he was appointed by the Adjutant-General, Charles W. Hill, to take command of the Regiment till the organization was completed. At an election in Monclova in August, 1863, he was chosen Lieutenant-Colonel of the Regiment, and received his commission from Governor Todd, August 30, 1863. Mr. Holloway was active and efficient as a member of Assembly, and gained great credit, especially for the passage of his Telegraph bill, a measure designed to afford relief from the monopoly of the Western Union Telegraph Company by securing competition in the telegraph business. A report of the proceedings in the House says: "The Holloway telegraph bill, preventing Railroad Companies from giving the exclusive right of way to any one Telegraph Company, came up in the House this afternoon, and after a sharp fight, was passed by 80 yeas to no nays. In the authorship and enactment of the measure, Mr. Holloway has shown himself at once an able, skillful and useful Representative." The Holloway homestead, now owned and occupied by Charles B. Holloway, was entered by David Purdun in 1831, and by him transferred to John E. Hunt, of' whom Peter Holloway obtained it in 1834. The present Peter Holloway resides on the adjoining farm, in the edge of Monclova Township. The land belonged to the State or Canal lands, which were chiefly sold in 1842. These lands extended into Springfield Township a mile and a half North of the Monclova line. Settlements were considerably retarded upon the Canal lands prior to 1842, the appraisement being too high to suit purchasers. In 1837, they were first brought into market. In 1833 David Trumbull, ancestor of the Trumbull family of this Township, settled on the West half of the Southwest quarter of Section 17--the land on which William O., I. C. and R. H. Trumbull and A. S. Hovey now reside. Part of this is the somewhat noted Cranberry Farm. In October, 1870, James Trumbull, son of David, picked from three acres on this farm 400 bushels of Cranberries, which were worth $3.80 per bushel in market, or $500 per acre for the crop. They were picked upon shares (one-fifth), 250 pickers being on the ground at one time. His son, Rufus H. Trumbull, has raised as many as 1,600 bushels of these berries in one season, and in 1887 had 12 acres in this crop. William O. and Rufus H. Trumbull, grandsons of the original settler, were Soldiers in the Union army during the War of the Rebellion. Harrison Wood, a son of Thomas and Matilda Wood, came with his parents to Springfield, from Orleans County, New York, in 1835. Mr. Wood served in the War of the Rebellion in Company A, Fourteenth Regiment O.V. I., and was wounded at Tallahoma, Tenn. Mr. Wood is a merchant at Holland and Clerk of the Township of Springfield. Perry, another son of Thomas and Matilda Wood, was born in Genesee County, New York, March 27, 1824, and came to this Township with his parents. He has served as Justice of the Peace. The first Mill in the Township proper was built by John Gnagy on Wolf Creek, in 1834. John Walter built a Saw-mill on Swan Creek in the Southeast part of the Township in 1836. The following were residents of the Township prior to 1834: Bingham D. Abbott, JacobFalk, Jacob Gnagy, Isaac Silvers, John Walter, William Beals, Abraham Walter, John Birchfield, David Purdon, Philander Noble, John Strayer, James R. Ford, William Berry, Lorenzo Abbott, John Cummins, Herrick A. Rew, Patrick Flynn, Ellison DeMott, John Wiltse, William VanHorn, James Dean, David Trumbull, Jeremiah Kimball, Dennis Sage, James S. Kitchell, Joseph Divine, Samuel Divine, Linas Frost, Chloe Lees, Selah Divine, Jonathan BarIow, John Divine, Willard Barnes. All these are dead or removed from the Township, except John Strayer, who resides in that part of Springfield set off to Monclova in 1853. (See Monclova.)
ORGANIZATION OF THE TOWNSHIP. In accordance with the act of the Board of County Commissioners, erecting the Township of Springfield, the first election for civil officers was held at the house of William Ford, October 8, 1836. James Egnew, Thomas Wood and John Birchfield were chosen Trustees; Peter Holloway, Clerk; John Wiltse, Treasurer; William Ford, Constable; John Birchfield and John Spencer, Justices of the Peace. March 5, 1838, the Trustees, James Egnew, John Birchfield and Patrick Flynn, settled with the Supervisors of Highways. No charges were made for services. The following were the Supervisors of the respective districts: No. 1--Wiley Hamilton; No. 2--Ephraim M. Parks; No. 3--Henry Dilgart; No. 4--John Spencer; No. 5--Samuel DeMott; No. 6-Lewis Rumsey; No. 7--James Dean; No. 8--James Egnew. April 2, 1838, the electors of the Township held their annual election at the house of Samuel Divine. James Egnew, John Birchfield and Patrick Flynn were Judges; and Josiah Cressy and Lewis Rumsey, Clerks. The following officers were elected: Peter Holloway, Township Clerk; James Dean and Lewis Rumsey, Trustees; John Wiltse, Treasurer; Thomas Wood and Linas Frost, Constables; Dennis Sage and David Trumbull, Overseers of the Poor; John Wiltse, Wiley Hamilton and James Egnew, Fence Viewers; Samuel Divine, Selah Divine and Lewis Rumsey, School Inspectors; Solomon Salisbury, John Birchfield, Samuel Divine, John Spencer, Samuel Jay, John Wiltse and Mason Dobbins, Supervisors of Highways. The Road tax for the Township, in 1838, was $9.38 and the Poor tax, $5.10. February 2, 1839, John Wiltse was appointed School Director for District No. 2, vice Hiram Wiltse, removed out of the District. In 1836, the following School Districts were set off in the Township: No. l--Commencing at the Northwest corner of the Township on Section six, and composed of the following sections: 7, 18, 19, 30, 31, 32, 29, 20, 17, 8, 5 and three-fourths of sections 4, 9, 16 and 21, and the whole of section 28. No. 2-Composed of Sections 22 and 15, with the addition of the quarter parts of Sections 16 and 21. No. 3--Composed of Sections 1, 12, 14, 11, 2, I0 and 3, with the East quarter of Sections 4 and 7 ½. One of the earliest roads laid out in the Township was "the old County Road," running from Lewis Rumsey's to the five-mile tree. A petition was presented by Josiah Cressy and others to the Board of County Commissioners, March 7, 1837, praying for the alteration of this road so as to discontinue it from Josiah Rumsey's West to the house of Dennis Sage, making it intersect the road leading to the Maumee at the nearest point, and there terminate. It was ordered, that the road be so changed, and the Board appointed Thomas Leaming, Hezekiah Hubbell, Jarvis Gilbert and Mason Dobbin, as Viewers; and Erastus Briggs, Surveyor, “to appear at the commencement of said route on the 2d Monday in April and proceed to discharge the duties required of them by law.” February 6, 1838, the County appropriated $140 to rebuild the bridge across Swan Greek, near Jacob Gnagy's in Springfield Township, which had been swept away by the freshet. TOWNSHIP OFFICERS, 1836--1887.
CLERKS--Peter Holloway, 1836-40; Josiah Cressy, 1840; Samuel Divine, 1841-44; Anthony L. Willard, 1844-46; Herbert Holloway, 1846; Selah Divine, 1847; Hiram Wiltse, 1848; Selah Divine, 1849-52; Charles B. Holloway, 1852-54; Selah Divine, 1854; Charles B. Holloway, 1855; II. H. G. Smith, 1856; Philo Hall, 1857; Charles B. Holloway, 1858; Hiram Wiltse, 1859; Daniel P. Brown, 1860; Charles B. Holloway, 1861.; E. L. Wood, 1862; Joseph Walker, 1863; S.W. Clark, 1864-66; Joseph Walker, 1866-68; Herbert Holloway, 1868; George W. Holloway, 1869-72; Harrison Wood, 1872; George W. Holloway, 1873-75; A. W. Files, 1875; Harrison Wood, 1876-84; Ralph McNees, 1884; David McNees, 1885; Harrison Wood, 1886-87.
TREASURER--John Wiltse, 1836-39; Lewis Rumsey, 1839; Wiley Hamilton, 1840; A. U. Hamilton, 1841; John Birchfield, 1842; Dennis Sage, 1843-45; John Birchfield, 1845-47; Dennis Sage, 1847-50; Solomon Salisbury, 1850; Dennis Sage, 1851; Solomon Salisbury, 1852; Dennis Sage, 1853; S. D. Wilcox, 1854-56; John Burdo, 1856; Robert Clark, 1857; Dennis Sage, 1858-60; James Trumbull, 1860; Robert Lees, 1861; George Wilbur, 1862-65; Theron Hamilton, 1865; Joshua Birchfield, 1866-69; Simon P. Lees, 1869-73; George W. Holloway, 1873-76; Patrick Dowling, 1876-78; David Baylis, 1878; Simeon P. Lees, 1879-84; George W. Holloway, 1885-87; Simeon P. Lees, 1887.
TRUSTEES--1836--James Egnew, John Birchfield, Thomas Wood. 1837--James Egnew, John Birchfield, Patrick Flynn. 1838--James Egnew, Lewis Rumsey, James Dean. 1839--Alfred Hamilton, James Dean, John Patten. 1840--Alfred Hamilton, Thomas Bull, John Patten. 1841--John Birchfield, John Patten, Herbert Holloway. 1842--Herbert Holloway, John Patten, William Price. 1843--Herbert Holloway, William Price, Osman Gunn. 1844--Osman Gunn, Harvey Kellogg, James Dean. 1845--Harvey Kellogg, Solomon Salisbury, Jacob Gnagy. 1846--Jacob Gnagy, Solomon Salisbury, Ezra Holt. 1847--T. J. Dobbin. Michael Debolt, John Strayer. 1848--John Taylor, Michael Debolt, Thomas J. Dobbin. 1849-- John Taylor, James Dean, Michael Debolt. 1850- John Taylor, James Dean, Joseph Roop. 1851- James M. Sangston, George Wilbur, O. C. Wilson. 1852--James M. Sangston, George Wilbur, O. C. Wilson. 1853--James M. Sangston, Thomas Wood, Joseph G. Cass. 1854-O. C. Wilson, Jarvis Gilbert, James Dean. 1855--Jarvis Gilbert, O. C. Wilson, Hiram Wiltse. 1856--G. W. Norton, J. M. Sangston, George Wilbur. 1857--George Wilbur, Thomas Hamilton, Jacob Corsen. 1858--George Wilbur, Thomas Wood, L. R. Jerome. 1859--Thomas Wood, George Wilbur, Samuel Jay. 1860--Josiah Cressy, Hiram Hamilton, Dennis Sage. 1861--Theron Hamilton, John Burdo. 1862--Theron Hamilton, L. R. Jerome, James Jay. 1863--Charles B. Holloway, L. R. Jerome, James Trumbull. 1864--Charles B. Holloway, Perry Wood, J. W. Jerome. 1865-- C. B. Holloway, J. W. Jerome, Perry Wood. 1866--C. B. Holloway, Edwin Hamilton, Hiram Wiltse. 1867--C. B. Holloway. Edwin Hamilton, N. B. McNutt. 1868-9—James Goodrich, Samuel Rudd, Patrick Dowling. 1870--Patrick Dowling, M. S. Hubbell, William Waterbury. 1871--M. S. Hubbell, William Waterbury, Coleman J. Cowell. 1872--M. S. Hubbell, Wm. O. Trumbull, C. J. Cowell. 1873-4--M. S. Hubbell, J. R. Barbour, W. J. Cressy. 1875--J. B. Griffin, C. J. Cowell, Robert Erwin. 1876--M. S. Hubbell, Thomas Wilkinson, Albert Dean. 1877-Wm. O. Trumbull, Thos. Wilkinson, Albert Dean. 1878-- H. W. Case, Thos. Wilkinson, F. S. Hall. 1879--F. S. Hall, M. S. Hubbell, Frederick Hecht. 1880-Frederick Hecht, J. R. Barbour, R. M. Trumbull. 1881--M. S. Hubbell, James Barbour, John Shean. 1882- William Scott, N. B. McNutt, Frederick Hecht. 1883--N. B. McNutt. W. H. Scott, James Wood. 1884--C. J. Cowell, S. J. Cothrel, A. K. Rumsey. 1885--C. F. Hecht, Patrick Delany, Henry Davis. 1886--Joseph Champion, Wm. O. Trumbull, Cyrenius Hecht.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE--1836--John Birchfield, John Spencer. 1842--Harvey Kellogg, Samuel Divine. 1846--Harvey, Kellogg, Samuel Divine. 1850- Peter Holloway. 1852—Samuel Divine. 1853--Harvey Kellogg. 1855--Benjamin F. Cunningham. 1860- Hiram Wiltse. 1861~Levi Manley. 1863--Hiram Wiltse. 1864--James Trumbull. 1866--Perrv Wood. 1867--JamesTrumbull. 1869-75--Perry Wood. 1875- Levi Manley. 1878-81--S. D. Wilcox. 1879-82--Perry Wood. 1884-87--A. W. Files. 1882-85--Rufus H. Trumbull.
TAX-PAYERS, 1838. Following is a list of residents of Springfield, who were assessed for personal taxes in 1838: HORSES AND CATTLE· Barnes, Matthew; Badgfield (sic Birchfield?); John, Cressy; Josiah, Demott; Samuel; Demott, Ellison; Divine, Sally; Divine, Samuel; Dilgart, Henry; Drake, Hiram; Dean, James; Egnew, James; Flinn, Patrick; Frost, Lewis; Gunn, Osmond; Hill, Merchant; Hammond, James; Hubbell, Burnham; Hamilton, Wiley; Holloway, Peter; Holloway. Herbert; Hold, Ezra; Jeanes, Thomas; Gnagy, Jacob; Kimball. Ephraim*; Kellogg, Harvey; Kinney, Asa; Lewis, George C.; McMillan, William; Mahon, Patrick; Martin, Patrick; Porter, John; Preston, David; Preston, John; Preston, Ira; Ramsey, Lewis; Salsbury, Samuel; Sage, Dennis; Smith, Peter; Trumbull, David; Wood, Thomas; Wiltse, John; Walters, Abram; Walters, Abram, Jr. *Also taxed on merchant's capital, $200.
MILITIA ROLL, 1844. Following is a copy of "Rank Roll of Ohio Militia of Springfield Township, as returned by Michael DeBolt, Assessor, June 4, 1844." NAME AND AGE. Ezra Holt, 37. C.M. Drummond, '2'2. Eli Merritt, 40. James Trumbull, 30. Calvin Trumbull, 32 Wilber Trumbull, 22 Thomas Dobbin, 40. Josiah Cressy, 37. John Patten, 25. Josiah L. Hill, 27. James M. Felt, 33. Daniel Divine, 30. Joseph Debolt, 22. Michael Debolt, 21. Edward Lees, 21. Patrick Lenehan, 31. Matthew Byrns, 36. George Hubbell, 23. Patrick Park, 36. Selah Divine, 35. Levi Manley, 27. Silas Wiltse, 24. Jacob Gnaggy, 37. Jacob Fulk, 26. Lucius Carpenter, 40. Abraham Van Wert, 31. John Burdo, 31. Thomas French, 26. Chester Holloway, 20. Alfred Rumsey, 27. James Dean, 43. Herbert Holloway, 3S. Samuel Divine, 35. Anthony L. Willard, 24. Andrew Patten, 30. Bartholomew Mahony, 43. John Patten, 35. Edward M. Martin, 23. William Flynn, 23. Michael Stover, 30. Michael Walters, 21. Solomon Salisbury, 43. Martin Walter, 26. John Strayer, 33. Philip Coder, 22. Warren B. Gunn, 23. John Taylor, 26. Osman Gunn, 44. Peter Bateman, 27. Peter S. Bell, 30.
CHURCHES--The Free Methodist Church at Holland was erected in 1870. It is a substantial brick structure. The first minister who preached the doctrines of this Church in the vicinity was Rev. L. T. Fink. His preaching was attended by a noted revival. The Green School-house was at first occupied for services, and then the Methodist Episcopal Church, prior to the erection of their own Church edifice. The Methodist Episcopal Church of Springfield is located one mile Southwest of Holland, on part of the ground originally laid out by the Township Trustees for a Cemetery. The Church was built by Thomas Wood, who raised the subscription and erected the building. It was dedicated in 1859. The first meetings were held in Thomas Wood's Tavern, and subsequently in the "Red School-house," as it was then called. Lewis Rumsey was one of the first Class-Leaders. He died in 1845. Among the old members, living and deceased, may be named Alfred Rumsey, Thomas Wood and wife, Matilda (deceased), Mrs. Sarah Sage (deceased), Mr. and Mrs. Barnet Miller (now living in Toledo). James Jay was a Class Leader from 1859 till his death in 1885.
SCHOOLS--The Township contains five Sub-Districts, each has a substantial brick Schoolhouse. The whole population of the Township is about 800. No. of persons of school age-males, 111; females, 104; 1 colored; total, 216. Board' of Education in 1887--A. W. Files; James Dean, G. W. Holloway, Joseph Champion, John Hartzfelt. In 1881, the amount apportioned to each district for Summer Schools was $280; total for all the districts except No. 1, $1,400. The aggregate apportionment for Winter Schools was $1,818.33.

HOLLAND. The Village of Holland is near the center of the Township. The plat on the North side of the Main Street was made by Robert Clark, March 14, 1863. Hall's first and second Sub-Divisions constitute that part of the plat which lies South of the Railroad. The Village in 1887 contained three stores--those of Harrison Wood, Milan Perkins, and T. W. Sage & Co.-the latter agricultural implements. There is one Church (Free Methodist), a School-house, a Blacksmith Shop and Hotel. The Village was originally called Hardy, but was changed to Holland in 1867. The Postofflce, when the mail was carried by stage, was kept by James Dean, at his hotel on the Toledo Plank Road, three miles West of Holland. Robert Clark was afterwards Postmaster, and Thomas Wood kept the office for a time at his hotel. Since its establishment at Holland, the Postmasters have been Thomas Dunn, A. W. Files, E. J. Potter, G. W. Corson and John Walker. A local Union of the Women's Christian Temperance Union was organized at Holland July 31, 1881, with Mrs. S. A. Hovey as President; Mrs. D. Bayless, Treasurer; Mrs. Eliza J. Walker, Secretary; Vice Presidents--Mrs. S. D. Wilcox, Mrs. G. W. Corson, Miss Ellen Cressy.


Spencer Township History from History of the City of Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio. Clark Waggoner, Munsell, New York and Toledo, 1888

The Township of Spencer lies in the Central Western part of Lucas County, and is bounded on the North by Richfield Township, and on the East by Springfield; on the South by Monclova, and on the West by Swanton. It is composed of Sections one to twelve inclusive of Town Ten South, of Range Five East, and Sections 31 to 36 inclusive of Township Nine South, of Range Five East, of the Michigan Survey, together with Sections 31 to 36 inclusive, of Town Eight North, of Range Nine East, of the Ohio survey; all except the latter, being in territory formerly claimed by Michigan.
The Township was set off from Richfield and Swanton by act of the County Commissioners in 1845.
The soil of the Township is arable and productive, with the exception of the portion known as the "Barrens," and a small area of marshy prairie. Both of these exceptions, however, are raidly disappearing under the improved methods of drainage and cultivation which have made the lands of this section generally among the most fertile in the State.
Half a century ago Spencer Township was a wilderness. The first settlers came in from 1832 to 1835, when the tide of immigration was setting toward Michigan. Most of the lands in the Township were entered at the Monroe Land Office. The tract of country between the River Raisin and the Maumee was inviting, and many entered lands within the boundaries of this Township who never became actual residents. Such was the case with E. S. and William Frost, Thomas Clark, Samuel A. Sargent, Jonathan H. Jerome, Israel Rockwood, R. A. Forsyth and others chiefly of Maumee. Before the " Toldo War " (1835) there were perhaps a dozen families in the 'Township. The first actual settlers were Abraham Johnson, Bennett Warren, Benjamin Fairchild, John All, Aaron H. Cole, Samuel Coleman, Gideon Rice, William Taylor and Charles Coarson-all now deceased, except, it may be, the last named, who removed to Iowa. William Brown, in 1834, was the first settler on the quarter Section South of the present Catholic Church. Samuel Coleman settled on the Northwest quarter of Section eight, Town Five, East of Range Five East, in 1835. Eli Munson settled on the Northwest quarter of Section Six, Town Five East, of Range Five East, in 1835. Levi Munson now lives on the old homestead. Benjamin Fairchild (wife and two little boys) settled on the Southwest quarter of the same Section, in 1834. Here the boys, the oldest of whom was only five years at the date of settlement, grew up to manhood. The younger, Jefferson, resided on the homestead until quite recently. Alonzo Fairchild now owns the farm adjoining on the East, to which he removed in 1849. It was entered in 1835 by Patrick Parks.
Some idea of the hardships of the pioneers in settling the country, may be gained from such reminiscences as the following. Says one of the pioneers
When we came here, it was all woods. There were more Indians than white people. We could see an Indian every day, or a squad of them with their squaws and pappooses, but a white man or white woman was a rare sight. Our nearest neighbors lived from three to four miles off, and there were no roads, only trails through the woods. Maumee was the nearest point where we could get needed supplies; and as there were no roads, even " chopped out." we had to " back " supplies to our cabins. The old route to Maumee was very crooked-the trail marked out by blazed trees. It bent away round the prairie-first to the South and then to the North making the distance twice what it is now. After roads were cut out, we hauled our supplies and went to mill, mostly with oxen and on sleds at all seasons, for there were few wagons at first in the settlement. My father paid $14.00 for a barrel of flour at Maumee ; and that was not the hardest of it. A neighbor who was coming past our house without much load, and could just as easily bring the barrel of flour as not, charged him $1.00 for fetching it out.
In answer to some questions about the early mills, the same man said:
The first mill I remember going to to get corn ground, was a concern run by oxen. They walked round, hitched to a pole or shaft. It was gotten up by a man by the name of Berry, near what is now Ai, in Fulton County. It was not much of a mill-a soft of coarse corn-cracker, like. Sometimes we went to Blissfield, Michigan, to mill, and afterwards to Waterville. After the mill was built at the latter place, it was the best and the nearest, but it often took from one to three clays to get a grist, the settlers coming from all around and waiting their turn. I have slept there all night on the bags, and at one time two nights, waiting for my grist. The usual mode of going to mill was with oxen, when one was well enough off to have such; but most of the settlers were poor and had to put up with great hardships. Sometimes men would go out and work at some odd job for a bushel or two of corn ; take it on their backs to mill; wait for it to be ground; and return with the proceeds to their lonely cabins and anxiously-waiting families, often at night, through the (lark forests. Money was very scarce, prices high and most of the settlers poor. The land was wet, and chills and fevers prevailed. The country is now ditched and made healthy compared with what it was. Most of the pioneers, however, were hardy and strong men, and could stand almost anything.
Following, is a list of the earlier purchases of lands in Spencer, as shown by the County records:
Section 31, David Clute, 18:15, 80 acres.
Section 31, John McNees, 1835, 102.84 acres.
Section 31, Andrew Palmer, 1835, 101.62 acres.
Section 31, Isaac Ritter, 1835, 181.62 acres.
Section 31. Eli Munson, 1834, 160 acres.
Section 31, Gideon Rice, 1834, 102.54 acres.
Section 31, Charles Butler, 1836, 51.21.
Section 32, Aaron H. Cole, 1833, 560 acres.
Section 33, Daniel D. Divine, 1835, 80 acres.
Section 33, Theron Hamilton, 1834, 40 acres.
Section 33, Stephen Langenderfer, 1836, 80 acres.
Section 33, Charles Osgood, 1836, 80 acres.
Section 34, Eli Hubbard and D. B. Tiller, 1835, 80 acres.
Section 34, Joseph Harpell, 1834, 40 acres.
Section 34, Andrew Smith, 1834, 240 acres.
Section 34, Catharine Thomas, 1834, 40 acres.
Section 34, Horace Waite, 1834, 40 acres.
Section 34, Martha Waite, 1834, 80 acres.
Section 34, Seba Murphy, 1836, 80 acres.
Section 35, James Cone, 1835, 80 acres.
Section 35, Matthew Byrnes, 1834, 40 acres.
Section 35, David Hendrickson, 1834, 40 acres.
Section 35, Hiram Smith, 1834, 40 acres.
Section 35, Roswell Cheney, 1836, 240 acres.
Section 35, Roswell W. Cheney, 1836, 40 acres.
Section 30, William Berry, 1834, 64.28 acres.
Section 31, William Beals, 1834, 282.78 acres.
Section 31, John Farner, 1834, 151.40 acres.
Section 31, John Knapper, 1834, 160 acres.
Section 32, Richard Wiggins, 1834, 65.80 acres.
Section 32, Iraad Rockwood, 1834, 68.60 acres.
Section 32, Wm. Houser, 1833, 160 acres.
Section 33. Bennett Warren, 1833, 65.28 acres.
Section 35, Clark Wright, 1833, 80 acres.
Section 33, John Brown, 1836, 73.76.
Section 33, Charles C. Roby, 1836, 73.76 acres.
Section 34, Henry Smith, 1835, 80 acres.
Section 34, Charles Smith, 1835, 40 acres.
Section 34, 'theophilus Short, 1837, 100 acres.
Section 34, Thomas Clark, 1843, 40 acres.
Section 34, Samuel G. Foster.
Section 35, Samuel A. Sargent, 1837, 60.40 acres.
Section 35, Dingham D. Abbott, 1836, 200 acres.
SCHOOLS.-The first School-house in the Township was built of logs in the winter o 1836-37, on the land of Eli Munson. There was then no School District organized in the Town ship; but the few settlers got together, cut the logs, split out the " puncheon " for the floor and roof, laid up the walls, and put on the roof, securing it with poles laid across, as nails were not in use in the settlement. A few panes of glass sufficed for a window, and the door, made of split puncheons, was pinned together and hunk oil wooden hinges. The first School Teacher in the Township was Chester Holloway.
Among the oldest residents of the Township at this writing (1887) are: Adam Brown, Levi Munson, Jacob Murbach, Alonzo Fairchild, David Dennis, George Dill, Andrew Myers, William Keough and David Crissy. Joseph Dennis, John Farner, Ezra C. Tunison, Henry Reinhart, William Taylor and Elisha Bird have passed away within two or three years.
Pursuant to notice given by the Commissioners of Lucas County, the electors of Spencer Township met at the house of Abraham Johnson in said Township, April 7, 1845, for the purpose of choosing Township officers. John All, Abraham Johnson and Darius Wyatt, were chosen Judges of election, and Benjamin Fairchild and Aaron H. Cole, Clerks. After balloting, it was found that Aaron H. Cole was elected Township Clerk ; Eli Munson, Samuel Coleman and William Brown, Township Trustees; Theron Hamilton, Township Treasurer; Darius Wyatt, Assessor; John All and Aaron Whitacre, Overseers of the Poor; William Taylor and Charles Coarson, Constables; David Clute, Benjamin Fairchild and William Norris, Supervisors of Highways. Benjamin Fairchild, a Justice of the Peace, administered the oath of office to the Township Clerk, and he to the other Township officers, completing the qualification of all elected, on August 15, 1845.
On April 14, 1845, Darius Wyatt, Assessor, presented his bond in the sum of $500, and sureties, Theron Hamilton and Charles Coarson, for the faithful discharge of the duties of his office, which was accepted by the Trustees. The Treasurer's bond in the sum of $800, with sureties, Darius Wyatt and Charles Coarson, was received and approved. William Taylor and Charles Coarson, Constables, presented their bonds and sureties.
April 14, 1845, four School Districts were established in the Township.
Following is a military roll for the Township as returned by Darius Wyatt, Assessor, April 15, 1845:
John Shull, Levi Chapin, Theron Hamilton, Benjamin Reinhart, Shubal Munson, Charles Young, Levi Munson, Charles Coarson, William Taylor, Samuel Coleman, William Norris, Joseph us W. Hufftile, William Brown, Aaron Whitacre, Albert Clute, David M. Johnson, Thomas Stevenson, William Johnson, John Johnson.
The following order concerning the election of J ustices of the Peace appears on the Township records:
Be it remembered, that at a term of the Court of Common Pleas, begun and held in and for the County of Lucas and State of Ohio, on the 11th day of November, A. D. 1845, on motion to said Court by Eli Munson, one of the Trustees of Spencer Township, by Young & Waite, his Attorneys; it was ordered, that two Justices of the Peace in and for said Township be elected at the next annual Spring election in said Township.
In testimony whereof, I, F. L. Nichols, Clerk of said Court, have hereunto set my hand and seal of said Court, the 27th day of February, A. D., 1846.
F. L. Nichols, Clerk.
Notice of election in accordance with the above order was given on March 15, 1846, and on April 6th following William Brown and Benjamin Fairchild were elected Justices of the Peace.
At the State election held October 14, 1845, 26 votes were polled in the Township. At the Township election for Justices of the Peace and other officers, April 6, 1846, 31 votes were polled. In 1851 the number of votes polled was 45; in 1852, 60 votes, and in 1853, 62 votes.
The following have been the principal Township officers since the organization:
Clerks-Aaron H. Cole, 1845-49; Aaron Whitacre, 1849; Ezra C. Tunison, 1850-54 ; Daniel C. Tunison, 1854; Samuel Divine, 1853; Daniel C. Tunison, 1856 ; Robert Fairchild, 1857-59; Ezra C. Tunison, 1859-61 ; Robert Fairchild, 1861 ; Samuel Divine, 1862-5; Jacob Surbeck, 1865-7; William Geyser, 1867; Alexander Crissy, 1868-70; William H. Pemberton, 1870-72; Edgar Morrill, 1872-80; D. B. Dill, 1880-83; Edgar Morrill, 1883; Peter Brick, 1884-86; Edward W. Dilgart, 1886-87.
Treasurers-Theron Hamilton, 1845-50; Aaron Whitacre, 1850; Charles Coarson, 1851 ; William Taylor, 1852-68; Alonzo Fairchild, 1868-79; Conrad Murbach, 1879-83; A. W. Munson, 1883-85; Frank Keopfer, 1885-87.
Trustees-Eli Munson, Samuel Coleman, William Brown, 1845; Abraham Johnson, Charles Coarson, Eli Munson, 1846; John Shull, Eli Munson, William Norris, 1847; William Brown, William Taylor, Matthew M. Mason, 1848-49; John Farner, David M. Johnson, Samuel Coleman, IS50; Martin Walters Shubal Munson, Samuel Coleman, 1851; James Morris, David Clute, William Brown, 1852; Smith H. Topping, John Farner, Alexander Walp, 1853; Ezra C. Tunison, Eli Munson, Albert Clute, 1854 ; William Brown, Isaac Clemens, Albert Clute, 1855; William Stair, Samuel Coleman, George Dill, 1856 ; John Farner, Samuel Divine, Elisha Bird, 1857; E. C. Tunison, Joseph Dennis, Lucas Raab, 1858; Lucas Rabb, Isaac Clemens, Alonzo Fairchild, 1859; Lucas Rabb, Alonzo Fairchild, John Farner, 1860 ; John Farner, David Dennis, Samuel Divine, 1861; John Farner, Alonzo Fairchild, David Dennis, 1862; Alonzo Fairchild, David Dennis, Abraham Johnson, Jr., 1863-64; Alonzo Fairchild, Joseph Dennis, Abraham Johnson, 1865; Alonzo Fairchild, Abraham Johnson, William Pemberton, 1866; William Pemberton, John W. Brown, Willard Barnes, 1867-68; Prosor Coon, William Pemberton, John W. Brown, 1869; Andrew Klumm, John E. Farner, James Barnes, 1870; Andrew Klumm, James Barnes, John W. Brown, 1371; William Taylor, Jeremiah Carroll, John W. Brown, 1872; John W. Brown, James Barnes, Jeremiah Carroll, 1873; William Taylor, James Barnes, Jeremiah Carroll, 1874; James Barnes, Enoch Huftile, Andrew Klumm, 1875; James Barnes, .John E. Farner, Andrew Klumui, 1876; Stephen Pitson, Andrew Klumm, John Regenald. 1877; Jefferson Fairchild, Andrew Klumm, Harmon Farner, 1878; Harmon Farner, John Sullivan, fatties Barnes, 1879-80 ; Harmon Farner, James Barnes, Andrew Klumni, 1881 ; Andrew Klumm, Edgar Morrill, Edward Dilgart, 1882; Alonzo Fairchild, Lafayette Dill, L. J. Berkeybile 1883; Lafayette Dill, L. J. Berkeybile, John Sharples, 1884-85; Harmon Farner, Andrew Klumm. Alonzo Fairchild, 1886; Lafayette Dill (only one elected), 1887.
Justices of the Peace-Benjamin Fairchild. 1845-48; William Brown, 18-16-55; Theron Hamilton, 1800; Samuel Farner, 1850-87; Lucas Raab, 1882-87. (The names between 18,30 and 1880 were not accessible to the writer.)
Schools.-On April 18, 1853, the Board of Education divided the Township into three Sub-Districts, as follows: No. 1-Composed of Sections 31, 32 and 5 and 6. No. 2-Composed of Sections 33, 34, 35, 36, and 1, 2, 3 and 7. No. 3-Composed of Sections 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35.
These have been changed in their boundaries from time to time, so that at present there are five Districts in the Township. All except one have substantial brick School-houses.
On April 17, 1854, the Board assessed the sum of $250 for the purpose of purchasing a site and building a School-house in District No. 3. On settlement with the Treasurer, there was remaining in the treasury a balance of $279.22, apportioned to the Districts as follows : No. 1-$72.50; No.2-$108.02; No.3-$99.70.
The receipts of School money reported April, 1856, were as follows:
School House Fund . . . . . . . . . . . $ 61 90
District No. 3. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17 17
Township Fund . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 132 88
State Fund. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .277 19
Interest on Section 16 . . . . . . . . 19 26
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $509 10
For 1866, the following:
Township School House Fund . . . . $213 28
State School Fund . . . . . . . . . . . . . 184 50
Interest on Section 16 . . . . . . . . . . 105 58
Total . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$503 36
Receipts for March 5, 1887:
State Common School Fund . . . . . . .. $204 00
Interest on Section 16 . . . . . . . . . . . .. 80 19
Township contingent Fund . . . . . . . . . $724 08
The number of persons of School age in the Township in 1887 was 237-males 127; females, 110. Number of voters, 132.
Board of Education foor 1887--A. W. Munson, Peter Brick, J. W. Manchly, W. H. Strong and C. Winterfelt. A. W. Munson, President; E. W. Dilgart, Clerk.
POST OFFICE-The nearest Post Office was at Maumee until an office was established at what is now East Swanton, in Swanton Township. The latter was removed to Swanton Village after that became a Railroad Station, and residents of that part of Spencer nearest adjacent still get their mail there. The Township Post Office proper is located at Java (Frankfort Corners). It was first kept by the late William Taylor at his residence, and afterwards moved from place to place until finally, in 1879, it was located at Java, since which Frank Keopfer has been Postmaster.
BAPTIST CHURCH.-This church was organized at an early day and services held in the School House and in private residences. Among the first preachers were elders Birdsell and Lewis. Rev. Aaron H. Cole, was the first regular Pastor; but no church edifice was built during his day; nor, indeed, until some time after his death. Rev. Mr. Cole was one of the early settlers and began his ministry in Spencer Township. He was born in Covert, Seneca County, New York, February 5, 1813. He was married with Lydia Rappleyee in March, 1835, and the same Spring came to Spencer, where he settled and resided until 1856. His name appears upon the records as the first Clerk of the Township, and he aided in many important ways in the organization of its affairs. Feeling that he was called to preach the Gospel, he was ordained and began his ministry in 1841. Most of the time for 20 years or more he preached at his own expense to weak Churches. In 1856 he moved to Grand Blanc, Ohio, and took charge ora Church there. For a time also he traveled and preached under the auspices of the Ohio Baptist State Convention. But he is best remembered in Spencer and the adjacent region. He removed to Adrian, Michigan, in 1866, where he died October 26, 1867, in the 55th year of his age. He was succeeded in the Spencer pastorate by Elder Nill, of Maumee. Revs. A. Brown, A. J. Porter, Horace Hall (who died in Richfield June 1, 1876), A. J. Buel, F. C. Wright and James Adams, have followed in succession, the last named being the Pastor in 1887. The Church was finished and dedicated in 1873.
CHURCH OF IMMACULATE CONCEPTION.-About 1838, Father Armedeus Rappe began a mission among the German Catholics of this Township, holding services at private residences. In 1851 the log-church now used for the parochial School-house was erected. It was succeeded by a frame building in 1864. This edifice was destroyed by fire June 7,1875, and in 1876, the fine structure known as the Church of Immaculate Conception, was erected and consecrated. On March 4, 1880, a tornado struck tine building, demolishing it completely, except the side walls, which alone were felt standing. On the 15th of August, the church was again rebuilt, frescoed and occupied. It is the finest country Church in Lucas County, and cost, in all, about $12,000. Rev. Charles Barbier was the first resident Minister in 1865, and since have been the following in the years named Rev. Nicholas Schmitz, 1868; Rev. Peter Kollopp, 1870; Rev. John G. Vogt, 1875; and Rev. Weimer Mueller since 1877.
THE GERMAN REFORMED CHURCH of Spencer was organized in 1852; Isaac Matzinger, Conrad Swine, Andrew Reginald and their families, being among the principal organizers. The building was erected in 1864. The Church has increased in numbers from the German element in the Township which is about twothirds of the population, about one-half of the Germans being Protestants.
There is also a German Baptist Church in the Township, erected in 1878. Rev. Sebastian Site has been its only Pastor.

No comments: