The first school in Holland was a log cabin on Angola Road, south side, about half way between McCord Road and Clark Street. It had been closed several years according to 80-year-old John Shanrock, when he came to this area 70 years ago as a lad with his parents. Mrs. Mae (Walker) Holcomb, who died in 1941 at the age of 84; Mrs. Anna (Barlow) Lawrence, whose death came in 1939 at 86 years of age, and Mrs. Ann (Clark) Files, who passed away in 1924 at 80 years, had attended this school.
Four school sites were deeded to the Township;
Eight Square on Garden Road in 1846; Red School on Holloway Road in 1847; Green School on Holland-Sylvania Road in 1847 (now dismantled); Starr School at Crissey in 1848 (no longer stands); and Clark Street School in Holland in 1847. The erection dates have not been established. Over a half century later the Dorr Street School was opened in 1900 with Earl C. Wood as teacher. Being a wooded area and having much wild game, it was called "Rabbit Center." It now has two buildings, 350 pupils and eight teachers.
The Eight Square School had a few local teachers: Charles Holloway, Anna Cummings, Eathel Wood, Mable Hovey, Maude Hertzfeld, Lillian (Smith) Corson, and perhaps the last was Grace Irwin. The school closed in 1922. The Charles J. Sautter family occupy it today.
The Green School had several local teachers: Jennie (Corson) Wood, Elizabeth (Corson) Angel; Alice (Shaner) Smith; Minnie (Lees) Hecht, Alta (Wood) Albon, Ann Dunn, Ella (Collins) Koester, and others. Mrs. Koester is now 91 years old.
The Red School had two known teachers: Minnie (Lees) Hecht and it is definite that Hattie Sherburne, sister of Rev. John Sherburne, taught the years of 1887-1889, while her brother taught the same years at Clark Street School. Mr. Sherburne in his 87th year lives in Lake Worth, Florida. Other teachers at the Clark Street School were Milan Perkins, Ida Curtice of Swanton, Ida Phelps, Clara Bates, Ada and Arletta Burchfield and others. The school was closed in 1893 as was the Red School.
The Starr School had as teachers Elizabeth Allen Myers, Alice (Shaner) Smith, Margaret Emery, Florilla and Sarah Trumbull, Nellie (Harding) Cairl, Clara Bates, Mae (Williams) Simmons and others. The original Starr Scholl stood where the closed Starr Crossing east of Crissey stand today. Crissey has two buildings, 260 pupils and seven teachers.
A crowded elementary school of one room with needed facilities for a high school, prompted the laying of the cornerstone in 1891 for the three winged building completed in 1893. The first graduates were Mabel E. Hovey and Eathel M. Wood. The graduation was held in the High Room. The Methodist choir, directed by J.B. Griffin, rendered special music. All graduations and entertainments were held in that room until late 1903 when the Township Hall was completed. Miss Hovey died in September, 1948; Miss Wood, October, 1950.
Mr. Leo Jacobs was the first Principal, followed by Lester A. Hill, Byron E. Toan, John B. Henderson, L.L. Disher, John A. Earle and following his death here, A.P. Stalter, W.D. Pepple, R.C. Gephart and others.
It required such a man as W.A. Whitman in 1920 with his ingenious and tolerant personality to accept the problem that confronted the school board in acquiring more room and modern facilities for a growing community. In the fall of 1920, the town and township voted unanimously for a new elementary building for the first six grades. The cornerstone was laid in 1921 and today a second addition is in progress.
The high school became first rank in 1921 with an enrollment of 32.
Alice Marsh came to the high school in 1921 as teacher and principal and taught faithfully until 1943.
The first orchestra was organized and directed by Mr. Whitman in 1922.
The first football team was organized in 1927 with Jay R. Bone as coach. In 1922, with the closing of Eight Square School, the first bus service was established with Carl Naitzka as driver. There are six buses today.
In 1925 with the help of several generous citizens, the Manual Training Boys, and the permission of the School Board, the gymnasium was built for entertainment and sports events. The seating capacity is 1,350. At that time it was the largest auditorium in the county where the first county chorus was held.
In the mid '30's, a swimming pool and bath house were erected behind the elementary building, but these were closed for lack of water and expense of maintenance.
With the combined efforts of the voters, the Board of Education, the Federal Government, and the school, another goal was achieved in the dedication on January 21, 1938 of Springfield Township High School (Ed.-- Construction began for this new school on December 15, 1936 according the the Holland News of December 18). At that time it was the most modern building in Lucas County.
Mr. Whitman spent 19 years in Holland and has since been Sandusky County Superintendent with Fremont as his headquarters.
At the time of the dedication of the new high school, the members of the Board of Education were: James A. Gunn, President; Wayne Hamilton, Vice-President; Ray U. Trumbull, Verne Parker, Frederick Merrill, and Ora Kreibel, Clerk.
D.K. Codding spent three years here as Superintendent, followed by B.J. Bishop in 1942. The Township and Holland enrollment was 800; in 1947, 1,100; in 1953, 1,520. The teachers increased from 28 to 58. The number of rooms increased from 27 to 56. Football, baseball, basketball, track and golf are among the sports. The Memorial Football Stadium was built in 1947 at a cost of over $11,000. It was financed partly by the sale of bonds and sponsored by the American Legion and the Athletic Department game proceeds. In 1947, 1948, and 1952, the school won the Maumee Valley League football championships, Twice Holland won baseball County "Oscars."
Since 1943, over $100,000 has been spent on rehabilitation of the buildings, of which over $77,000 came from State Aid.
Holland has a marching band of 48 members and a concert band of 38 members. Lowell Rogers is the director of each. There is also a school choir of 45 members and 130 people in the school glee clubs. Miss Norma Gamble is the director of the singing programs.
The administration of the school is represented by B.J. Bishop, Superintendent, and F.B. Moore, Principal.
Including the 1953 class, the Alumni membership is 1,051. The 1949 class was the largest on record with 61; the 1946 class was the second largest with 56 members.
The present Board of Education includes Fred Richards, President; Donald Manley, Hugh MacQueen, Paul Cairl, William Daniels, and Glade Swope, Clerk.